Are you from outside the EEA? Do you plan to live in the UK as a family?

Family Visas

If you or your family member is presently in the UK and you are planning to live together in the UK, one of the options provided under Family Visas, would be the right one for you depending on the nature of your relationship:

  • Spouse or Partner (Spouse Visa)
  • Fiancé or Fiancée or proposed Civil partner (Unmarried Partner Visa)
  • Child (Dependent Child Visa)
  • Parent (Parent Visas)
  • Relative (Adult Dependent Relative Visa)

Selected further information:
What is a Spouse Visa?

A Spouse Visa (also referred to as UK Marriage Visa), allows individuals who are married to a person settled in the UK (i.e., a person not subject to any visa restrictions), to come to the UK to live, work and/or study.

Duration of a Spouse Visa?

This depends on individual circumstances, such as:

  • Your visa was issued in the UK (whilst you were residing or visiting), the term usually lasts for 30 months.
  • Your visa was issued whilst you were overseas, the term of the visa is 33 months.
After your initial term is over, you may apply for an extension totalling no more than 5 years or 60 months on a spouse visa.
Once the term of the extension is also complete (on a Spouse Visa), you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
How to apply for a Spouse Visa?

The application process can take between 2 to 12 weeks and BIAAP will ensure that we track the progress of your application and represent your interests in case the UK Border Agency has any questions.

Take the advice of our expert solicitors if you wish to apply for a spouse visa so that you will be well informed on this topic based on your position. Furthermore, you would benefit from the expert opinion to collate the documentation and complete the forms.For example: if you are already residing in the UK under a different visa, such as – a student visa, you may be able to switch to a Spouse Visa, provided you and your spouse are both eligible.

UPDATE: Changes to Minimum Income Threshold

The UK Government has amended the immigration rules surrounding the minimum income threshold to make it easier for some families to meet the requirements.

It is important to seek expert help to know if any changes affect you.

Last, but not least, everything we do in life is for our families and loved ones and sometimes we need assistance to keep the family together or to ensure that they can visit us.

At BIAAP, we have first-hand personal and professional experience in such matters and are perfectly placed to assist you for the best solution in your circumstances.

This website is for informational purposes only and does not contain legal advice. As the law is subject to changes and updates, please do not act and/or refrain from acting based on anything you read on this site. Always seek legal assistance when required from a accredited and practicing professional i.e. solicitors. BIAAP (Brightway Immigration and Asylum Practitioners) is subject to and upholds the laws of the United Kingdom and adheres to the code of conduct required by our profession.