Be the first to expand your business in the UK!

Representative of an Overseas Business Visa

A popular visa option for non-EU businesses and entrepreneurs, who are looking to test the waters by sending a sole representative to establish a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary.

This visa type is also used in case you are an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK.

Basic Criteria:
  • Proof of Identity
  • Address for the UK (where you will be staying)
  • Tuberculosis Test Results (depending on country of origin)
  • Meet the English language requirement (check terms and conditions for your specific circumstances and country of origin)
Financial Information:

You must have enough money to support yourself without help from public funds

  • Fee of £610 applies if you apply from outside the UK
  • Fee of £704 applies if applying from within the UK (this is also the cost of extending the visa), additionally, £19.20 is the fee charged for taking bio-metric information
  • Payment of health surcharge

Specific Eligibility Requirements:

Related to you and your employment: proof of employment; proof of qualifications / skills / know-how and/or experience to execute the duties of the role; designation (must be senior position with authority to make decisions, cannot have a majority controlling interest); proof of being hired outside the UK,

About your employer: must be an active and trading business; must be based out of the UK; must not have plans to shift their headquarters or primary business jurisdiction to the UK;

Intent: to establish an overseas businesses first commercial presence in the UK, either as a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary.

Other Details:

As a holder of this visa, you can: work for your employer, full time; bring your family (‘dependants’) with you to the UK; apply to extend your visa and apply to settle in the UK after you’ve been here for 5 years

But you cannot: work for yourself or any other business, stay in the UK if the sole representative arrangement is ended by your employer, switch to this visa from any other visa category; get public funds

This visa type can be extended

Duration and Application:
  • The application criteria, depends on where you are presently located
  • The visa allows you stay in the UK for an initial period of 3 years and maybe extended for another 2 years
  • After being in the UK for 5 years, there is the possibility of applying for permanent settlement

Always remember that government policies are subject to change, to avoid disruptions to your plans, we always advice consulting a legal expert.

As you may have read on this website, BIAAP has a strong practice in immigration matters, in fact -often our clients are individuals and families who have little or no ties to the UK.

This has allowed us to develop a deep empathy to work with individuals and companies who find themselves in a new and unfamiliar environment, allowing us to provide a service that goes above and beyond.

We are proud to report some success stories where our continuous growth has also benefited from the growth of our clients.

This website is for informational purposes only and does not contain legal advice. As the law is subject to changes and updates, please do not act and/or refrain from acting based on anything you read on this site. Always seek legal assistance when required from a accredited and practicing professional i.e. solicitor. BIAAP (Brightway Immigration and Asylum Practitioners) is subject to and upholds the laws of the United Kingdom and adheres to the code of conduct required by our profession.