As a student on a Tier 4 visa, you may bring your dependant to the UK as well

Student Visa, Tier 4

Note: The Student Visa has replaced the Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Basic criteria to apply for a Student Visa is as follows, you:

  • Have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
  • Can speak, read, write, and understand English
  • Have consent from your parents if you’re 16 or 17 – you’ll need evidence of this when you apply
  • If you’re 16 or 17 and you want to study at an independent school in the UK, you may be eligible for a Child Student visa instead.


Further Details:

If you are applying from outside the UK – the earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course. Usually, you get a decision within 3 weeks.

If you are applying from inside the UK – the earliest you can apply is 3 months before your course starts. You must apply before your current visa expires. Your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

The duration of your stay on a student visa is dependent on the length of your course and what study you’ve already completed in the UK.

If you’re 18 or over and your course is at degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. If it’s below degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years.

In certain circumstances you can extend your stay if:

  • You’re eligible, for example to continue your studies in the UK
  • You want to switch to a Student visa from another visa if you’re already in the UK
  • You want to switch to a Graduate visa to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing your course

Undergoing your higher education in the UK is a once-in-a-lifetime experience! As an international hotspot for higher education, alongside a global city, i.e., London, you will fit right into this cultural melting pot.

The process of course is quite streamlined, but in case you face any challenges at all, you can always call your favourite lawyers at BIAAP.

This website is for informational purposes only and does not contain legal advice. As the law is subject to changes and updates, please do not act and/or refrain from acting based on anything you read on this site. Always seek legal assistance when required from a accredited and practicing professional i.e. solicitors. BIAAP (Brightway Immigration and Asylum Practitioners) is subject to and upholds the laws of the United Kingdom and adheres to the code of conduct required by our profession.